Word 2010 Compatibility:
Reference Manager 12
The Reference Manager 12.0.3 update provides Cite While You Write compatibility with Word 2010 (32-bit). Microsoft recommends installing 32-bit Office for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
Reference Manager 11 and earlier
Reference Manager 11 and earlier are not considered compatible with Word 2010. Please purchase an upgrade to Reference Manager 12 to work with Word 2010. We do not claim compatibility of Reference Manager 11 and earlier with Word 2010, and do not recommend using Reference Manager in that environment.
Word 2007 Compatibility:
We have identified the following items related to compatibility between Reference Manager and Word 2007. We continue to monitor reports from users and will update this message as required.
If the Reference Manager 12 tools or the tools for Reference Manager 10/11 do not load into Word 2007 automatically, click here for instructions to get them loaded.
Reference Manager 12
Reference Manager 12 is compatible with Word 2007.
Reference Manager 11
We have identified minor incompatibilities with Reference Manager 11:
- Clicking on Help from the Insert Citation window will give an error message, "Cannot find the RM.hlp file. Do you want to try to find this file yourself?"
Reference Manager 10
We have identified minor incompatibilities with Reference Manager 10:
- Clicking on Help from the CWYW toolbar, the Insert Citation window, the Text Format window, and the Select Matching Reference window will give an error message, "The topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated Help file. (129)".
Reference Manager 9
We have identified major incompatibilities with Reference Manager 9, and do not recommend using Reference Manager 9 with Word 2007:
- Word 2007 will sometimes crash with the message, "Microsoft Office Word has encountered a problem and needs to close" when using the Scan Document command.
- Word 2007 will sometimes crash with the message, "Microsoft Office Word has encountered a problem and needs to close", if you use the Revert to Original Text command and delete the bibliography.
- The Find Previous Unlinked Citation and Find Next Unlinked Citation commands cause a Word API error message.
Send questions, comments, or suggestions about this page to the